It’s simple, but makes so much sense.
Moosejaw Mountaineering creatively advertises its rewards-points program by including a points-teaser right under the product pricing (“Earn 1999 Rewards Points” – the unusually large number sparks curiosity), with a link to its loyalty program details:
Rewards Points Calculator
Earn 1999 Rewards Points
+ 0 High Altitude Rewards Bonus Points
1999 Rewards Points!
that’s like $19.99 to spend at MoosejawRewards.com!!
Like what you're reading?
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
Join over 20,000 ecommerce leaders who have subscribed
and receive expert advice about the world of enterprise commerce.
Moosejaw Rewards is free and you are automatically a part of it (emphasis mine). You earn 10% back in points on all regular priced items and 5% back in points on all discounted items. Use your points for gear and clothing at MoosejawRewards.com. Learn More…
I think this is done well for several reasons:
- You never know which page will be a customer landing page – you can’t rely on your home page to promote your loyalty program.
- Following the price, it’s in the customer’s eye path and more likely to get noticed than a shiny red button
- When you open the pop-up to learn more, it has a compelling offer – 5-10% back on everything you buy.
- “You are automatically a part of it” makes it sound easy and effortless to be involved, although later you find out you do need an account.
- “Use your points for gear and clothing.” In this case, the reward items are the same kinds of products as the mother-store. They’re not branded keychains and coffee mugs.
- If a customer is comparison shopping, this may win the sale over a competitor, all else equal.
When you click through to read more information, you get a straight-forward, plain English and humorous explanation of how the program works, including:
To earn points, you must sign up for an account online or at the Moosejaw shops and start shopping. There is absolutely no charge!!! Points are tracked by email address so hopefully you’re not afraid to provide your email address to us. We’ll email you points updates and special offers and you can opt out of email at any time without losing any points.