The following is an email I received from Circuit City the other day. I think this last-minute Valentine’s Day email campaign pulls together appropriate design elements, messaging and calls-to-action. And reflects what we’ve been talking about for months here at Get Elastic about holiday marketing.
Now that you’ve given your scroll-wheel a nice workout, let’s break this email down:
- Circuit City uses an attractive image with a simple message that solves a customer problem: “Find the perfect last-minute gift.” The image features 3 of the hottest selling product categories – digital cameras, iPods and GPS systems.
- The reader is reminded of Circuit City’s in-store pickup option – even if you’re past the shipping cutoff date you can still shop from your desk, Blackberry or wherever you are right now.
- Hey even if you’re done shopping for your honey, you can still take advantage of the deals you’ve come to expect from email offers. There’s a time limited deal – wanna see what it is? Then click through NOW.
- Don’t forget gift cards. These cards come with Valentine’s designs – nice touch.
- What I like about the way the products are laid out above is, much like how people scan navigation links looking for “trigger keywords,” they could also scan images for products that appeal to them. I love the red and pink product merchandising and attractive offers in each category. The customer can navigate to the category she wants straight from the email.
- And if nothing else enticed you today, here’s a contest. Although I’d like to see more details – what’s the dollar value of the prize and is there a purchase necessary?
It’s a challenge to design an email packed with so many different messages and calls to action that still looks clean and uncluttered. The messaging is unified around Valentine’s Day but not restricted to it. Whether you’re a last minute V-Day shopper or just a gadget-lover, this email is relevant.